Monday, December 13, 2010

Airfix website

I recently had a look at the Airfix website. It was interesting to see many of the old kits I built as a youth still available only the packaging had changed. These old kits such as the Hawker Typhoon above, have been repackaged with a tube of glue, little tubs of acrylic paint and a brush.  The last time I built this kit it came in a clear plastic bag attached to a paper 'header' with a painting of the Typhoon in action not unlike the one on the new package. This sort of packaging complete with all you need to build the kit is intended to cater for children rather than the adult modeller.

I wish they would provide the models true age on the packaging. I'm sure many consumers don't realise that most of these kits that they describe as 'new' (kits become 'new' if you changed the packaging) were molded over 40 years ago! I have a nostalgic soft spot for Airfix but that doesn't translate into a desire to purchase any of their kits today. I felt out of place if not a little uncomfortable visiting a site that is intended for children.

Airfix clearly sees children as their primary market rather than the adult modeller. The focus on children reminded me that scale modelling does attract some middle aged modellers who behave like children and need a good smack! Maybe Airfix is on a winner here, after all, they have been around for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment