Sunday, December 26, 2010

Bf-109E-4, W.Nr. 5819 flown by Adolf Galland

The above photos shows Galland's Bf-109E-4 emblazoned with 60 kill markings on the rudder. Incidentally, this photo or more precisely the negative, together with a few others from memory were sold on Ebay for an astronomical amount last year. I've forgotten the exact amount but I think it was edging up to $2,000! yes for a photo! I've always been fond of Adolf Galland from the time I first saw him in an interview for the BBC documentary series 'The World at War'. This larger than life character with an engaging personality had in the post war period become the foremost spokesman for the Luftwaffe and always promoted the view that the Luftwaffe was somehow disconnected from Nazi doctrine and beliefs.

The photo has inspired me to see if I can build a model of this 109 possibly in 1:48 scale. However, before I start cutting plastic parts from the sprue I'd like to know something about the camouflage and markings of this aircraft. Perhaps hyperscale can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment